monit's permission checks...

From: Andreas Rust
Subject: monit's permission checks...
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:52:57 +0200

Hello,

I am currently using monit 4.2.1 (should I upgrade? not followed discussions here lately) and quite some parts from a modular config someone posted up here a while ago. The system is running SuSE 9.0.

sshd_config is tested with:

check file sshd_rc with path /etc/ssh/sshd_config
        group sshd
        include /etc/monitrc.d/templates/rootstrict

where rootstrict has (next to other lines):

if failed permission 600  then unmonitor

... for some reason I didn't find out yet, the permission for that file is sometimes changing to 640 instead of 600. Monit nicely warns me and I reset it to 600. However, it appears to me that using either "monit reload" or the web-interface button "enable monitoring" does not work out here correctly.

It has shown me several times an output stating "Permission {red}600{/red}" and didn't seem
to understand that 600 is just fine.
This seems to happen on reload or enable monitoring ... "monit quit" and "monit" makes the problem go away
and everything is back to normal.

l8r

    Andreas Rust     -   webnova GmbH
    address@hidden  -   www.webnova.de