Init style startup

From: Andreas Rust
Subject: Init style startup
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:19:32 +0200

Hello,

just recently I set up a new server which also has clamav and monit running.
These 2 services, however, aren't properly started during bootup, eventhough
I added distri-specific stuff to the startup scripts.

(I know, RH, SuSE, Debian are all a "little" different here and there)

I am using SuSE 9.0 on this machine.

e.g. to the clam script I added:

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:       clamd
# Required-Start: $remote_fs $syslog $network
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start:  2 3 5
# Default-Stop:   0 1 2 6
### END INIT INFO

that way Yast and insserv nicely put it into the right order and SHOULD start it.
It is not started and all I get is a failure notice, but no reason anywhere.
Having clam in monit's check sequence also gets me the email that clam is not started, but
e.g. using monit webinterface it is not starting up either.

Running /etc/init.d/clamd start manually as root on a console, starts the daemon
without problems.

Monit is not getting started either and I cannot see a reason.

Has anyone experienced similar problems on a linux system ?

l8r

    Andreas Rust     -   webnova GmbH
    address@hidden  -   www.webnova.de
    Tel:  +49 (0)700 - 20 30 7000