Re: FYI: monit status output

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: FYI: monit status output
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:48:12 +0100

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:
I would really like for the output "engine" to work on only common
attributes (it makes things simpler). On the other hand I can see how
size may be very usefull. So, okay, I'll add size to services of type
file and device so the output will look something like this:

XML:
        <service>
                <type>file</type>
                <name>httpd.bin</name>
                <status>0</status>
                <monitored>1</monitored>
                <size>57Mb</size>
        </service>
        <service>
                <type>device</type>
                <name>hda5</name>
                <status>1</status>
                <monitored>1</monitored>
                <size>7620Mb</size>
        </service>
TEXT:

The monit daemon uptime: 28d 12m

Process 'apache':       is running
Process 'sybase':       is not running
File 'httpd.bin':       not monitored
File 'access.log':      accessible with size 50Mb
Host 'rhn.redhat.com':  is up
Device hda5:            is accessible size 7620Mb
Directory /etc:         not accessible or has errors

I think it could be maybe more clean to decide whether to report all per-service type specific parameters for all services OR just service status as you proposed recently.

For example in the case of device test, in addition to size attribute there is yet inodes parameter. Depending on the type of typical device usage, inodes can be at least as important as space usage.

If we will try to report just status of all service types, except device which will have in addition space attribute, we will be forced to extend the information for all services.

What about to support output detail level via for example: http://localhost:2812/_status?output=<type>&level=<detail>

- <detail> is choice of for example {short|long}. Short is for just failed/passed/not monitored status report for each service as proposed. Long is for detailed information about each service (all possible parameters are reported)

- if the "level" parameter is ommited at all, monit will use "short" output by default