Bugs and feature wishlist

From: Flo Gleixner
Subject: Bugs and feature wishlist
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:58:39 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I'm evaluating monit and it seems to be almost what i was looking for.
Great job so far :-)

I compiled monit 4.1.1 for Solaris 8 64 Bit. Does someone wants to have my
Makefile? Or even a Solaris pkg?

Today i had my forst bug, monit was hanging:

truss -p 8436
poll(0xFFFFFFFF7D9FD7F0, 1, 1000)               = 0
poll(0xFFFFFFFF7D9FD7F0, 1, 1000)               = 0
poll(0xFFFFFFFF7D9FD7F0, 1, 1000)               = 0
poll(0xFFFFFFFF7D9FD7F0, 1, 1000)               = 0

endless.

Now my feature wishlist:

I'd like to monitor /var/adm/messages for critical things and send a mail
if something bad occurs. I use a shell script that records the size of the
file, compares it with the old size, tails the changed portion, filteres
it (awk or grep ...) and if something remains, it sends a mail. I use
monit to trigger this script:

check file messages
    with path /var/adm/messages
    if size was changed then exec "/usr/local/bin/monitscripts/maillogfile.sh
/var/adm/messages address@hidden"

(b.t.w. if someone wants that script ...)

But monit sends another mail that the size did change. I don't want that.
And it'd be better if monit could send me the mail with the changed
contents. There could be filter or diff plugins in monit. My dream:

check file messages
    with path /var/adm/messages
    if size was changed then filter
"/usr/local/bin/monitscripts/messagesfilter" changes

should send a filtered content of the changes

check file messages
    with path /var/adm/messages
    if size was changed then diff

should send a diff from the previous version of the file.

Another proposal: If i unmonitor something, the webinterface should not
show it as "running". It should show "not monitored". I did once unmonitor
apache during some config session and did not remember to re-enable
monitoring. My apache was down for one day. luky, it was a internal apache
:-)

Thanks!

Flo