Re: Feature request: /etc/monit.d config directory and include support

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Feature request: /etc/monit.d config directory and include support
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 04:14:52 +0100

Christian Hopp <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:
>
>> this gave me an even better idea. We can use an
>> embedded database directly for configuration instead of monitrc.
>
> No offense but I think there fits the proverb... "to break a butterfly on
> a wheel".

Okay, maybe suggesting an embedded database for configuration was to
much. (But using SQL to configure a monit server would at least be a
novel idea, you have to admit that :)

> We dont have megabytes of data to move around.  Is it really
> necessary?  I like the xml idea much better.  In the worst case you
> can always grab your favorite editor to edit those files.  But if
> they are stuck deep down in a db server...?

A database server would be to much, but sqlite is not a database
server, it is really just a SQL interface against a database
file. (Similar to, but more powerful than, Microsoft Access). The
database file could then be distributed in the same way you distribute
monitrc today. But okay, I can see that this suggestion may be too
radical, it's herby withdrawn :)

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland