Working with daemontools

From: Paul Diaconescu
Subject: Working with daemontools
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 14:59:33 +0100

Hi,

I'm using daemontools to supervise qmail, fetchmail, spamassassin, proftpd,
etc. I'd like to have some kind of function tests on these programs
(daemontools just restarts processes). An example:

* proftpd is running but doesn't answer to requests. Monit should restart it
with svc 3 times, give up and send me an alert.

* If the process isn't running monit should not try to start it since supervise
is already trying that.

More complex: To test that the mail system is working - send a mail to a
testaddress. Check that the mail arrived, delete it and send again. If it
hasn't arrived restart the maildaemons.

Is this possible with monit? Is logsurfer a better alternative?

thanks / Paul