Some comments.

From: Peter Holdaway
Subject: Some comments.
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:38:14 -0800

Hi,

  I am trying out the new 4.1 monit and it looks very nice.

  Two comments I would like to make are ...

1. File Timestamp

  Removing the timestamp syntax from "check process" and limiting it to
"check file" is a bit annoying as it reveals in the http GUI the internals
of how I am using a regularly updated file timestamp to check if a process
is working correctly.

  In 3.2, the easiest way to instrument a process for continuous monitoring
by monit was to add a file timestamp updating routine. I am now considering
creating a TCP port purely for monit's use.

  It seems to me that it is inconsistent to allow a connection test inside a
process entry, but not a timestamp test.

  Oh well ...

2. GUI ease of use.

  May I suggest that you make it a bit easier to start/stop/restart
processes?

  Enclosed is a wrapper we use around the monit HTTP GUI that I find very
convenient.

  The Select link selects all the processes and the selection box will
stop/start or restart the selected processes.

  It would also be nice if the groups were also visible in the http GUI,
perhaps by "grouping" processes in separate sections. :-)

Regards,

Peter Holdaway

Top of Form

Select

Server

Status

Uptime

CPU

Memory

AppManager

running

11d 22h 0m

0.0%

0.2% [9776kB]

DualPDEMediationApp

running

11d 22h 0m

0.2%

0.7% [30080kB]

IPNetwork

running

11d 22h 0m

0.2%

0.2% [9432kB]

SS7Network

running

11d 22h 0m

0.0%

0.2% [11832kB]

StatusAlarms

running

11d 22h 0m

1.4%

0.3% [13520kB]

webmin

running

11d 22h 0m

0.0%

0.0% [3920kB]

Change Selected: Start Selected Stop Selected Restart Selected

Bottom of Form