Re: feature request

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: feature request
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 02:11:28 +0200

"John Barton" <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a small feature request. I am currently running monit on a
> wide variety of servers for an ISP. I would like to give technicians
> the ability to view the monit server running on a machine to verify
> if a service is running, but I do not want to allow them to
> start/stop/restart services.
>
> Does anyone have an idea on how to have a "read-only" account for the
> monit daemon that can view but not change, and then specify admin
> account(s) that can actually affect the services?

The simplest solution for this is to allow users with read-only
restrictions to only view the first status page (that is, this page,
http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/monit_httpd.gif)

and the configure statement in the monitrc file could look something
like this:

set httpd port 2812 address localhost
     allow admin:password
     allow user:password read-only

Where the "read-only" keyword flags that this user can only view the
status page. If the user tries to click on one of the service links he
will get a 403 FORBIDDEN status page.

If you click the button at the bottom of this page:

          http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/index.html#support

and consider donating oh, say some hours worth of what the ISP pays
you for your consulting, then it's not impossible that this feature
request will be implemented[1].

> Thanks in advance, and thanks for the great software package!

Thank you for using monit!

[1] By all means I do not mean that feature requests needs to be
backed up by a donation, far from it!! But if monit is used in a
commercial setting and is part of contract work and you request a
feature we should implement and which will help you in your work, a
donation will be highly appreciated :-)

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland