Re: IMAP & POP remote problems

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: IMAP & POP remote problems
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:39:04 +0200

Andreas Rust <address@hidden> writes:

> I am now running latest monit 4.1-beta3 on several hosts.
>
> A local connection test on IMAP or POP using something similar to:
>
> check host local-imap with address 127.0.0.1
>      if failed port 143 protocol imap with timeout 15 seconds then alert
>
> works fine, while a remote connection test using a similar statement, e.g.:
>
> check host some-imap with address w.x.y.z
>      if failed icmp type echo with timeout 15 seconds then alert
>      if failed port 143 protocol imap with timeout 30 seconds then alert
>
> fails over and over again.

But what excately fails? is it the icmp ping test or the protocol
test? (You may see this better if you run monit from the console with
debugging turned on, like so: monit -Iv). To verify that there is not
something wrong at your end, try this entry in your .monitrc file:

 check host www.tildeslash.com with address www.tildeslash.com
       if failed icmp type echo with timeout 15 seconds then alert
       if failed port 143 protocol imap with timeout 15 seconds then alert
       if failed port 110 protocol pop with timeout 15 seconds then alert

Does it work? (It works for me).

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland