Re: Host connection test and alert/exec

From: Andreas Rust
Subject: Re: Host connection test and alert/exec
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:13:20 +0200

At 01:36 17.10.2003, you wrote:

Andreas Rust <address@hidden> writes:

> the idea of resolving this is too good to be true ofcourse. :)

Of course :) it's not a bad idea though.

Right ... so can we expect this functionality sometime ? :)

Maybe, but from your original mail:

> Now, since remote hosts may disappear due to the line being cut or
> something alike, I'd like to send my alert on a timeout (hence, on
> several failed tests), similar to normal process checking.  Means,
> that some X connection failures are ok, alert me on X+1.

I don't understand why it is not interesting to know if the line was
cut right away and get and alert? If you are thinking about that you
will get an alert every time monit checks the remote host and it's
still down, then this is fixed in the upcomming 4.1 release: If the
host is down monit will now only send you one alert and as long as the
host is down you will not get anymore alerts. But if the host got up
and then down again later you will get a new alert (and so on). (Check
out 4.1 beta release).

Well, before 4.1 (which I am going to test in a few mins) it was
ofcourse a problem to get messages until the problem was resolved,
since sending some dozen or so SMS to your mobile or pager CAN be annoying. :)

Another thing I have been thinking about is that, whenever the line is cut
to one of the remotely monitored machines and I am checking some
3-5 services on each machine, I am still flooded with 3-5 alerts
depending on the network problem. Possibly even more.
Can't see an elegant way to surround this yet.

Last but not least I am wondering how exactly monit handles stuff internally.
Imagine some 5 host tests with 15 seconds timeout each and a cycleperiod of 60
seconds. How is this being dealt with?
Are all tests running at the same time or would I have to raise seconds
between cycles ?

l8rs

    Andreas Rust     -   webnova GmbH
    address@hidden  -   www.webnova.de