Problem monitoring a PID file

From: Phil Guier
Subject: Problem monitoring a PID file
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:25:14 -0700 (PDT)

First some background info. I am using monit to monitor httpd and sshd on a remotely located voicemail system. I would like to also monitor the daemon that is running the voicemail application but it doesn't "listen" on any port. Netstat shows that it is a Unix socket.

The application is AsteriskPBX and all I want to do is monitor the asterisk.pid file in /var/run/ and if monit doesn't see it, it will email me.

Here is the code snippet:

check asterisk with pidfile /var/run/asterisk.pid
alert address@hidden
  with mail-format {subject: Asterisk is down!}

When I shut down asterisk, and the pidfile is gone, monit doesn't email me or even post an entry to the /var/log/monit logfile. (BTW-the sshd and httpd pidfile checks work just fine. They also specify hosts and ports. )

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks,
Phil

Do you Yahoo!?