Re: Misc monit questions

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Misc monit questions
Date: 10 May 2003 16:28:47 +0200

Martin Pala <address@hidden> writes:

> arthur.chereau wrote:
>

> >2) My monitrc is in /etc/monit/monitrc. Is it possible to tell
> >monit where it is at compile time ? (typing -c /etc/monit/monitrc
> >is boring)
> >
> No, it isn't possible. Monit looks for configuration file only in home
> of the user, current working directory or /etc.
>
> I think it could be possible to allow specification of monit control
> file in the compile time. What the other developers think?

/etc is the standard location for controlfiles, (at least on SYSV
systems, I'm not sure about *BSD) and I think it suffice to support
/etc/monitrc as we do now, in addition to $HOME/.monitrc as Martin
mention. I.e. no need for setting this at compile time I feel.

Apropos file locations; the new monit state function (currently in
CVS, but will be part of the next release) use a file to save the
current monit state in $HOME/.monit.state. I think it could be
beneficial to be able to set the location of this file, for instance
/var/run/monit.state in addition to $HOME/.monit.state. The reason is
that monit will chocke if the /home partition was unmounted for some
reason while monit is running. Any thoughts on this?

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland