[Q] Alert string

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: [Q] Alert string
Date: 30 Apr 2003 14:44:54 +0200

Does anyone use the alert statement with a single username instead of
a full email address? Like "alert foobar" instead of "alert
address@hidden" If the former is used monit adds the hostname to the
username to compose a "real" email address, as shown in this excerpt
from the parser:

alertmail       : ALERT MAILADDR { $<string>$= $2; }
                | ALERT STRING { $<string>$= append_hostname($2); }

The problem is that I would like to use the ALERT STRING part to
implement the notify program, like

  alert "/bin/program" on { checksum }

I do not think many know off and use this "alert username" feature and
if I do not hear anything I'm planning on changing the semantics for
the ALERT STRING statement to use it for executing an external
program.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland