Re: MONIT Startup

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: MONIT Startup
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:24:53 -0600

I've setup a sample config to watch cron. Its configured for manual
mode.

1. Cron is already running.
2. Start monit in a local window with verbose, web page says cron is
running.
3. Issue monit start cron to make it start active mode on cron.
4. Kill cron abnormally.
5. Wait for monit to restart cron.

Nothing happens. Its quite odd.

Here's a log:

soja root # /etc/init.d/dcron zap start
 * Manually resetting dcron to stopped state.
 * Starting dcron...                    [ ok ]

soja root # ps ax | grep cron
  669 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/crond
 8895 pts/6    R      0:00 grep cron

soja root # monit -c /etc/monit.conf start cron

soja root # monit -c /etc/monit.conf status
monit daemon uptime: 0m
Process 'cron' is running with pid [669]
        Uptime: 0m  CPU: 0.0% Memory: 0.0% [0kB]

soja root # kill 669

soja root # ps ax | grep cron
30056 pts/6    R      0:00 grep cron

Monit never responds to cron not being available. The web page says
its not running, but it doesn't seem to restart it or mail me about
it. I've tried just "start" and "start cron". The web page for the
cron service still says manual mode...

What am I missing?

I've attached the sample config file.

Russell