Re: [RFD] External pluggins

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: [RFD] External pluggins
Date: 04 Sep 2002 18:33:51 +0200

Jan-Henrik Haukeland <address@hidden> writes:

> Request for Discussion:
> Theme: External pluggins

Thanks for the discussion. This *was a tentative* suggestion and I
thought I should bring it up since there has been infrequently
questions for such a functionality now and then.

Let me stress again that this was not ment to replace the current
architecture and not a plan to move monit in a direction similar to
the spaghetti architecture of systems like Net Saint and Big
Brother. It was more a suggestion for a clear-cut protocol *extension*
similar to the CGI protocol used by web servers.

Anyway I think I got the message and I also have to say that I agree
with much of the argumentation aginst such a solution. Okay, back on
the shelf with it, if we see a need for such a solution in the future
we could always look at the proposal again.

On a similar note, do we need support for an external notify program
as it's outlined in item 6. at www.tildeslash.com/monit/next.html ?

Maybe we should simply settle with a SNMP support module as Martin
originally proposed. I'm +1 for this and if we agree on this I suggest
that the current code base makes up a monit 3.0 release, that is with
the tasks finished now and that task 1, 2 and 6 is moved to a later
3.1 release later this autumn. Christians process code alone justify a
jump to a major release number in my book.

Do I get a +1 on this suggestion?

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland