Re: [RFD] monit 3.0 release

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: [RFD] monit 3.0 release
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:27:55 +0200 (CEST)

On 4 Sep 2002, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

Hi!

> Martin Pala <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I started work on external configuration sources before i came
> > 'very' busy.  I have big part of draft ready (now it only needs to
> > be taken in "readable" form from my notes :)
>
> Martin, could you share some of the ideas you have for this and the
> rational for any design choices you have made? And also provide some
> convincing arguments for actually doing this :)
>
> If we decide to supply configuration of monit servers from a
> centralized repository of some sort (database, ldap, proprietary
> config server etc.) I also think that maybe we should move to XML for
> the configuration file?

Why... as you say down there monit's configuration language is nice
and actually good to read.... and IHMO XML isn't.  It is good for
machine reading and awful for human reading and maintaining.

By the way... what is your idea of feeding the database ldap server???
Does it supply full configuration files or already "parsed" stuff.
How do we interface... openldap or any other libs?

What happens if they are not up... e.g. network is down but there are
processes which have to run... what if the config changes... do we
poll, is it pushed or do we ignore it.  What about authorization, what
about the sensitive data like monit's http passwords.

Am I to negative... take it as sign of good a mood of mine. (-:

> I love the current configuration file's "little language" but XML
> configuration is probably more handy if we move in a centralized
> direction? (I have already created a simple XML parser with a SAX
> interface I could move over to monit *if* we decide that this is the
> best choice)
>
> > I think next thing i will focus on after 'configuration sources'
> > will be snmp module (or helper).
>
> Okay, it's yours :)

... jo, "out from the frying pan into the fire!" (-:

Christian

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113