Re: [RFD] monit 3.0 release

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [RFD] monit 3.0 release
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 03:03:27 +0200

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:
Martin Pala <address@hidden> writes:

I started work on external configuration sources before i came
'very' busy.  I have big part of draft ready (now it only needs to
be taken in "readable" form from my notes :)

Martin, could you share some of the ideas you have for this and the
rational for any design choices you have made? And also provide some
convincing arguments for actually doing this :)

If we decide to supply configuration of monit servers from a
centralized repository of some sort (database, ldap, proprietary
config server etc.) I also think that maybe we should move to XML for
the configuration file?

I love the current configuration file's "little language" but XML
configuration is probably more handy if we move in a centralized
direction? (I have already created a simple XML parser with a SAX
interface I could move over to monit *if* we decide that this is the
best choice)

I think next thing i will focus on after 'configuration sources'
will be snmp module (or helper).

Okay, it's yours :)

Yeah, i though about XML too - maybe it will be good choice. I had no big experiences with it (i only read introduction to SAX interface described in Professional Linux Programming from Wrox but never used it).

I will prepare my notes into document in next days and submit to the list for discussion. I also made simple modification of present parser to bring some abstraction to it that will allow adding of another configuration sources. It seems pretty simple i think - i will attach sample patch to the draft too.

Cheers and good night :)