[RFD] monit 3.0 release

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: [RFD] monit 3.0 release
Date: 31 Aug 2002 00:55:08 +0200

Request for Discussion:
Theme: monit 3.0 release

1. Objectives

   The intentions of this mail is to summarize the current status and
   propose a realization plan for the new major 3.0 release.

2. Status

   The initial plan for features in the 3.0 version is found at this
   location: <URL:http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/next.html> along
   with an updated progress pr item. For your convenience here is an
   abrivated copy of the feature list:

   1. Configure monit from different sources.

   2. Simplify the control file syntax

   3. Implement dependencies between program entries

   4. Redesign the web interface and add support for program groups

   5. Extend the port check to understand URLs

   6. Provide functionality for checking program CPU usage

   7. Support n arguments for programs started by monit

   8. Add support for a user submitted Notify program and/or SNMP support.

3. Proposal - Redefinition of scope

   The above feature list is a mix of important and less important
   features. I suggest that we tighten the list and redefine the scope
   as follows:

     Item 3. dependencies(*) and item 8. External programs(+) should
     make it into the 3.0 release, while item 1, 2 and 4 (the group
     part) are moved out of the scope.

   * Item 3. is Rory's domain but I suspect that you (Rory) haven't
     had time to work much with this? If this is the case I suggest
     that we take this item out off scope for now.

   + Item 8 should definitely make it into the 3.0 release. This is
     currently my task but if anyone volunteer to take over I would
     happily accept. (In that case let me know in a few days). The
     scope of 8. is reduced to calling an external program whenever
     any of the following events take place, [restart, stop, timeout,
     checksum] or possibly also for a resource events. Item 8. should
     also be combined with a skeleton C/python/perl program to
     demonstrate how to imlement a snmp-trap. Volunteers?

4. Testing

   We need to test the new monit 3.0 release on the following
   plattforms, Linux, Solaris and FreeBSD. I guess, Christian, Rory,
   Martin (when he's back), Thomas and I can test on Linux and
   Solaris, but we need volunteers for FreeBSD and possibly other
   plattforms. For instance it would be nice if we could have a Mac OS
   X version of monit. But I and no one I know have access to Mac OS X.

   To make it easy to test I'm going to create a beta regulary from
   the current cvs repository and announce it on this mailing list.
   The beta can be downloaded from this url:

       <URL:http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/beta/>

   You can download a current 3.0 beta from this url now! Please do!
   and test and report any problems back to this mailing list.

5. Release date

   I suggest Monday, 16. September as a tentative release date.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland