Re: Path and argument problem... solution?

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: Path and argument problem... solution?
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 00:15:31 +0200 (CEST)

On 30 Aug 2002, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> Christian Hopp <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > [string handling]
> > Committed
>
> I'm not sure about the changes to trim_quotes(). The idea about
> removing balanced quotes sounds good, but in practise the effect is
> not always what you want. For instance this string will not be trimmed
> correctely:
>
>   '"text"' you will get:  text"'

Actually not... at least my test proved me something else.  If the
string is quoted ['] it will search for the next ['], if it is quoted
["] it searches for the next ["].  I save the first s/d quote in
"tmp".

I ran several tests with different argument patterns it did work well.

Please have a look at it again.

> I think we should keep it as it was. Besides most strings are run
> through the lexer which will ensure balanced quotes. Finally I'm not
> sure if we should trim away quotes in the arguments? I could be that a
> command would expect quotes in arguments. What do you think?

Afaik, the commands don't want quotes and if you need some, you can
put them it the quotes... "'test'" gives 'test'.

> > PS: Is it possible to get automaticly a mail whenever the CVS changes?
>
> Yes, I will have to change a bit in cvs then. But this leads to
> another question, if we do this we should probably create a new
> mailing list for developers only. Since we are so few developers and
> the traffic on the current general mailing list is not high I'm not
> sure. On the other hand with the new monit 3.0 version comming up I
> expect that monit will be very popular and with more traffic on the
> general list. What do others on this list think about creating a
> developers only mailinglist?

I think it is okay... I think for the most readers it might be
annoying to get all the patches or CVS updates.

Christian

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113