More invasive autoconf patch

From: Mark Ferlatte
Subject: More invasive autoconf patch
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 01:43:32 -0700

I've done some more work on the autoconf patch.  It's against current
CVS.  New stuff:

* I still check and set the ARCH variable, but none of the code actually
  uses it anymore.

* All tested for headers are protected by HAVE_* sections.

* Non-useful autoconf tests have been removed (there's no point in
  testing for something unless you're going to work around it or work
  without it).

* Package version number is now pulled from config.h, and set in
  configure.ac (second argument to AC_INIT).

* Minor portibility fix for malloc in xmalloc.c.

This patch supercedes my previous patch.