Re: Automake?

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: Automake?
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 00:35:49 +0200 (CEST)

On 20 Aug 2002, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> Mark Ferlatte <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > autogen.sh is only for developers, and generates all of the files
> > that are needed for building, but which shouldn't be in CVS.  In our
> > case, it just makes sure you have autoconf, and then runs autoheader
> > and autoconf.  It's perhaps more useful when you're using automake
> > as well.  I just hacked the one from gnet, which is a hacked one
> > from GNOME.
>
> Okay.

Just start autogen.sh before dist as if you would start autoconf
usually.  Works fine!

> > > What happened to PIDDIR in monitor.h ? This variable should be
> > > substituted from configure with either with /etc or /var/run. You
> > > still need to use AC_SUBST(PID_DIR) don't you?  This variable is used
> > > in file.c:init_files as MYPIDDIR.
> >
> > monitor.h sets MYPIDDIR=PIDDIR, and PIDDIR is defined in config.h, and
> > is detected in configure (using AC_DEFINE, so it goes in the header).
>
> I found out, I was running autoconf 2.13 so nothing much happened, and
> config.h was empty :) (My system has autoconf 2.13 and 2.53 where 2.13
> is the default)

Welcome in the club!  Debian has a nice feature for it... if it finds
configure.ac it start 2.53, in case of autostart.in 2.13.

> Everything looks okay now. I suggest that we check in Mark's
> autoconf stuff then, is this okay with the other developers?

Hgrmph...  I have already synced Marks patch into my process code and
all the process code already uses the HAVE_foo features.  But I can
diff/patch around it. (-: But what about this... release 2.5.1 without
autoheader support (aka. config.h support) and right afterwards I sync
my stuff which has Marks and my stuff combined inside.  Just an idea.

Btw... Mark, the config.h stuff is really good.  And if you get used
to it and if you force yourself to be more organized it has no
development overhead. (-:

Good night Europe,

C.Hopp

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113