Re: Automake?

From: Mark Ferlatte
Subject: Re: Automake?
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:19:43 -0700

begin  Jan-Henrik Haukeland quote on Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 01:15:36PM +0200:
> This looks very good, but, um, to build a new package do we have to
> run autoconf and then autogen.sh?

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

autogen.sh is only for developers, and generates all of the files that
are needed for building, but which shouldn't be in CVS.  In our case, it
just makes sure you have autoconf, and then runs autoheader and
autoconf.  It's perhaps more useful when you're using automake as well.
I just hacked the one from gnet, which is a hacked one from GNOME.

> What happened to PIDDIR in monitor.h ? This variable should be
> substituted from configure with either with /etc or /var/run. You
> still need to use AC_SUBST(PID_DIR) don't you?  This variable is used
> in file.c:init_files as MYPIDDIR.

monitor.h sets MYPIDDIR=PIDDIR, and PIDDIR is defined in config.h, and
is detected in configure (using AC_DEFINE, so it goes in the header).