Re: Monit doesn't detach from the tty

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Monit doesn't detach from the tty
Date: 08 Aug 2002 03:40:08 +0200

Mark Ferlatte <address@hidden> writes:

> Heh, I'm back, fresh from the umask issue (BTW, I'm running a copy
> of monit that does umask save at startup/restore at spawn, and it,
> at least, does what I want... ;)

Good, good. I think we have decided on your strategy. The only "but" I
have is that any user may run monit (one of monits advantages) and
they may not have set a disciplined umask as the /etc/init.d/ setup
script. However, we can document us out of it.

Lets see the code :)

> monit 2.5, when run in daemon mode, doesn't actually detach from the
> tty, which results in (at least) ssh having trouble when you try and
> log out.

The reason is probably the opened std filedescriptors. The daemonize
code is by the book (expect for the three open fd's) and should be
okay. Hmm maybe we should close them after all, and then re-open them
in spawn.c. Programs can expect the std fd's to be opened as our
friend Wietse declare, so monit should respect this.

BTW, Stop reading the monit code so we can avoid more Schroedinbugs :)

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland