Re: Wrong alert messages

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Wrong alert messages
Date: 07 Aug 2002 15:58:55 +0200

Thomas Oppel <address@hidden> writes:

> yesterday I found a misconfigured monit (release 2.5) on one of my boxes.
> The start/stop init file didn't exist. (Well, forgot to rename the config's
> default.) With timeout(3,5) this lead to 4 alert messages, after I had killed
> the certain service:
> - one 'Program x restarted' and after that in cycles
> - three 'Program x timed out'
>
> The first alert message I consider a bug.

Yes, it's a bug, sort of. If you look in the log file you will see a
statement like: "Could not execute x". This isn't very helpfull and as
discussed earlier with Christian this should instead generate an alert
message. The three timeout messages are strange, I'm not sure why
those occurs.

BTW, regarding execute problems, we should extend the event types for
this. At the moment we have 3 event types, CHECKSUM, RESTART and
TIMEOUT. We should add a new one called EXECUTE (error) which will
occur whenever monit is unable to execute a start/stop program.

Let's make this a call for discussion: Are there other event types
monit should include?

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland