[EJH Pollard <address@hidden>] monit + package management systems

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: [EJH Pollard <address@hidden>] monit + package management systems
Date: 07 Aug 2002 15:16:56 +0200

This seems like a good idea. Any thoughts?

--- Begin Message --- Subject: monit + package management systems Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 12:31:36 +0100 (BST)
hello,

I've been evaluating your monit daemon for use on my servers. it seems
to be a very good package, though I was unsure about one thing - the
interaction between monit's checksum facility and the inevitable updates
to daemons by package management systems (used by systems such as the
debian and red hat distributions).

at the moment I have a script that notifies me when updates are
available, another which performs a "dry run" installation (i.e.
simulates installation) and a third which downloads the new packages,
checks their (GPG signed) md5 checksums and installs them (or not).
ideally I'd like to add another line to this last script:

monit recalculate checksums all restart all

...or something like that. I've had a good trawl through the online
documentation and I can't tell if thie behaviour is currently supported.
clearly I could simulate it with an external script, but that's a bit
hacky! clues, directions, etc. would be much appreciated.

yours,

etienne

 [ EJH Pollard - ISE Fourth Year - Imperial College, London, UK ]
 [ address@hidden -- 07715 747874 -- www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ejhp98/ ]
 [ See also: http://union.ic.ac.uk/ -- http://edgarpollard.com/ ]

--- End Message ---

--