Re: [CVS] unix socket support added

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: [CVS] unix socket support added
Date: 05 Aug 2002 15:17:18 +0200

Christian Hopp <address@hidden> writes:

> Uiih, a draw.

Seems like we've got ourself into a Mexican standoff :)

> And you, Hauk, have change your mind about Martins second idea???

Not really, sorry Christian. Let me try to explain in my roundabout
way. First, I'm against it because I haven't seen any good reason for
adding this, except for when developing monit and when another live
monit daemon is running in the background. Well, this of course could
be a nuisance for the developer, but does not really justify adding
new code to monit, since there are "easy" workarounds in a developing
milieu.

If you can give me other (operational) arguments for adding the code,
I will of course reconsider and probably accept.

I'm not particular found of jamming guidelines down my next fellow
throat, but XP has has a few good ones for the case we are discussing:

 http://www.extremeprogramming.org/rules/simple.html and
 http://www.extremeprogramming.org/rules/early.html

A summary is that you should not add code to an application unless the
functionality it provides are in common use and important.

:-)

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland