Re: PACKAGES info file into cvs?

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: PACKAGES info file into cvs?
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 19:43:55 +0200

Hi,

the hint was motivated to bring standard where it isn't. There are many of
packaging methods/systems for many platforms. These systems have common
target - create package from source files. "Make" is very general tool
suitable whenever you need to create one or more target from given entry
data set => i think that it is possible to use it in this case to provide
abstraction for users for creating monit packages (there can be many targets
representing many platforms - every with its own rules to create package
from source). It is prety simple to do "make solaris" (or
redhat/suse/debian/etc.) - the user don't need to know anything about
packaging system that it involves.

In attachment is sample Makefile.in and support files for creating solaris
packages from sources (taken from Zmailer - http://www.zmailer.org). I think
that it is possible to do something similar for monit.

The most important is to keep it simple. Many users probably woun't never
create its own packages and will use even precompiled packages from monit
packagers (thanks for good work boys :) or directly monit sources => if this
stuff will be to complicated (it was realy only idea), it will be better to
create monit packages with present contribs.

Best regards,
Martin