Re: PACKAGES info file into cvs?

From: Thomas Oppel
Subject: Re: PACKAGES info file into cvs?
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:03:47 +0200

Am Dienstag, 16. Juli 2002 00:41 schrieb Martin Pala:
> Yeah. Maybe it will be useful to have common Makefile (either realy
> common/single by extending  present Makefile or new in ditributions
> directory) for building distributions from sources. It can be then possible
> to do:
>
> make redhat (or suse/solaris/debian/etc.)
>
> that will make apropriate package. I think it will be simple and consistent
> packaging method. The PACKAGES file can then contain instructions for
> adding new package type. It can also contain specific notes for packages or
> they can be separated in more README files for given system (for example
> README.solaris, etc.)
>
> What do the people on the list think about it?

Em, nice flash, but to be honest: nothing.
make is for compilation.
After that you might build a fitting package on a certain platform from
compiled sources with another tool.
Not the other way round (call make to build a spec which calls make again).
Keep it simple.

Greetz, L.

--
Kourentis und Brüggemann