Re: New monit web-interface

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: New monit web-interface
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:36:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Martin Pala wrote:

> Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:
> > Martin Pala <address@hidden> writes:
> >

> >>Problem is, that mtime can easily be modified (for example by unix
> >>'touch' command). Its not big problem for intruder to mangle this
> >>value.
> >

> > I know, I was think appart from mangling that it could be a good
> > idea.
> >
> > Anyway, given Thomas and your's objections about changing the checksum
> > feature which, BTW I agree with - I wasn't thinking about mangling. I
> > think the best thing is to leave the checksum function as is.
> >
> > Because if a user choose to checksum a file he will probably want to
> > pay the extra penalty the test takes in CPU cycles. I mean, for a
> > program like monit, correctness is more important than speed.
> >
> > +1 for not changing the checksum function
> >

> Agree,
>
> when checksum will depend on time, it will be fast useless => when the
> performance is the issue, it will be better to not enable checksum (as
> you described). In the case that checksum depends on time it can only be
> useful against "dumb" intruders.
>
> +1 for not changing the checksum function

I agree that it shouldn't be synced!

+1 for not changing the checksum function

But maybe there is somebody out there in the world who might find it
useful. So I finished the patch and included all the things.  And it was a
good exercise too. (-:

C.Hopp

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113