Monit on a Virtual Server

From: Qasim
Subject: Monit on a Virtual Server
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 15:37:14 +0100

Hi,

I have a virtual server which is running FreeBSD 4.5. I have compiled monit with gmake and installed it. Everything was fine. Monit now runs as a daemon every 2 mins.

The virtual server doesn't have a localhost address but does have a fixed IP and it is possible to connect to that with telnet from the local machine or externally. However if I run monit with the port check (specifying http or otherwise) I get the following error message in the log file

'apache', socket at port 80 is not ready for i|o -- Undefined error: 0

My config file looks like this. Monit is currently running but only checking for the pid file. The Email alert is working fine as is the 2 min cycle. Could someone shed some light on this?

set daemon  120           # Poll at 2-minute intervals
set logfile syslog        # Set syslog as the logfile
set mailserver localhost  # Use localhost as the smtp server
# set mail-format           # Set a default mail from address for
# { from: address@hidden }  # all alert messages emitted by monit
# set httpd port 2812 and   # Make monit start it's web-server
#     use address localhost # and only accept connection from localhost
#     allow localhost       # allow localhost to connect to the server and
#     allow hauk:monit      # user 'hauk' with password 'monit'
#
#
check mysql with pidfile /var/db/mysql/www.pid
   start program = "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start"
   stop program  = "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh stop"
   alert address@hidden
       with mail-format { from: address@hidden
                     subject: mysql -- $EVENT at $DATE }
   autostart yes
   group sqlserver

check apache with pidfile /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid
   start program = "/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start"
   stop program  = "/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl stop"
   host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 80 protocol http
#    port 443  # default/no protocol test
#    checksum /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd
#      and expect the sum 8f7f419955cefa0b33a2ba316cba3659
   alert address@hidden
       with mail-format { from: address@hidden
                     subject: apache -- $EVENT at $DATE }
   autostart yes