RE: Plans for the next release

From: Greg_Cope
Subject: RE: Plans for the next release
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:12:52 +0100

> From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland [mailto:address@hidden
>
> Martin Pala <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Maybe it will be useful to use similar categories as on
> (for example)
> > http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.0-features.html.
>
> Probably
>
> > I think it it will be useful to show the status
> > (Planned/InProgress/Done) and maybe developer, that actualy tries to
> > do it.
>
> Agree. Lets see, is this right:
>
> 1. Configure monit from different sources; like LDAP. - Martin
> 2. Using monit as an init replacement - 2. Rory or hauk?
> 3. Implement dependencies between program entries - Rory
> 4. Add support for managing program groups in the web-interface - hauk
> 5. Extend the port check to understand URLs - Martin and hauk
> will help :)
> 6. Provide functionality for checking program CPU usage - hauk

Hi All,

my 2 pence worth:

no. 1 sounds a little complex, config management for large sites is a
problem that should be solved centrally.

no. 2 Sounds like we are reinventing the wheel.  I though monit was supposed
to monitor ?  Sounds a bit like feature creep and this is difficult to do
cross platform.  init works.

3,4,5,6 All sound great.

> > - SSL support for monit httpd (as you mentioned in the past)
>
> Yes, but I think that will have to be in a later version.

This sounds like an excellent idea.

Please don't get me wrong - I think monit is great as a process watchdog
tool - and I love he small tool that do a small thing well unix mentality.
Hence my worry of feature creap.  Concentrate on monit(oring) and avoid
reinventing init.   There be dragons (and init just works!)

Keep up the good work.  I'm looking forward to the next release.

Greg