The multi interface code

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: The multi interface code
Date: 01 Jul 2002 04:19:21 +0200

Rory, I have had a closer look at the interface code. And I'm sorry
for not giving you feedback earlier and for beeing so blunt, but I
don't like it. It's not that I don't appreciate the hard work you must
have put into this. But it makes the monit code too messy, complicated
and hard to maintain. And adding support for ip-addresses and
hostnames will only make it worse. (Which was the originally plan).

I _have_ been working with the code for a couple of hours to try and
structure it to my liking but without success. Finally I decided to
take a pointy hair boss decision and replaced it with a much simpler
version. The point is, we need to keep the code as simple as possible
and well structured to be able to add new stuff in the future. The new
code does only support one specific address or all/any. From the
updated man file:

  If you only want the http server to accept connect requests to one
  host addresses you can specify the bind address either as an IP
  number string or as a hostname. In this example we bind the http
  server to the loopback device. This means that the http server will
  only be reachable from localhost:

  set httpd port 2812 use address 127.0.0.1

  or

  set httpd port 2812 use address localhost

  If you do not use the ADDRESS statement the http server will accept
  connections on any/all local addresses.

If you want to, we can keep the interface version as an additional
patch but I'm sorry but I'm not going to use it in the monit code.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland