mlview-hacking

Re: [Mlview-hacking] Mview : information about network development of ml

From: Dodji Seketeli
Subject: Re: [Mlview-hacking] Mview : information about network development of mlview
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 15:05:22 +0200 (MEST)

Hi Fabrice,

I am glad to see that some work on the network
support of mlview is being done.

However, I have some questions regarding the choices
we need to make.

1/What are the dependencies implied by gnome-vfs ?
The great advantage of nanohttp/ftp layer provided
by libxml2 is that we depend on libxml2 already.

Are we sure that using gnome-vfs will not turned
into some dependency management nightmare ?

2/don't you think we shoud turn MlViewFileDescriptor into
a more abstract api with well defined function pointers
based interfaces on which we could plug gnome-vfs ?
That way, if tomorrow we find a better alternative to
gnome-vfs, it won't be a pain to move to that new
alternative. Maybe this is too difficult/time consuming
to achieve and isn't worth the cost, but I think we
need to take this aspect in account.

Best regards,

Dodji.