mlview-hacking

[Mlview-hacking] Hello ...

From: Frederick C. Druseikis
Subject: [Mlview-hacking] Hello ...
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:55:07 -0400

Just wanted to say hello.

I've been working on an XSLT-based web application for some time now.  I've used mlview for a couple of *days* mostly because I started feeling the need for an XML editor.  I have been pretty impressed with mlview.  It hasn't bitten me yet ;) Although I've been using vim to edit my .xsl I'm beginning to think that I could really use a more sophisticated set of editing tools, so that's why I joined this list.

The approach I've been taking is that there are meta-stylesheets which when coupled with metadata (describing page content) produce a stylesheet that takes data to produce an html page.  Metastyles sheets get really interesting because there is a lot of "quoting" of xslt constructs to get them to produce style-sheets (lots of xsl:element and xsl:attribute constructs).  Mlview has a lot of knowledge via a dtd of an xml document; constructs for xslt have a lot of structure too.  Has anybody tried to use mlview for this kind of task?  Has anybody seen (or have) a dtd for XSLT?

Does anybody have any interest in - or percieve a need for - adding a "plug-in" capability to mlview?  I'm thinking that a capability like that found in gedit.

What I have in mind is that you would be able to write a plug-in (say in perl, or python, although I prefer the former) that would operate on the DOM mlview has, maybe by taking a copy of the current one, passing it to the plug-in, and then displaying the result on a new tab.  Pretty clear that it would need to use the libxml2 library that mlview is using, which is true for perl.  What I'd like to do with it is to add tools that allow you to do quoting of XSLT constructs, creating xsl:templates, parameterize existing xslt code, etc..  A possibility is to do it all in XSLT, althought that seems slightly too academic to me.  Some of these kinds of things seem like simple recursive algorthms in a tool like perl operating on a DOM.  So I'm thinking that separating the pure viewer tasks from the transform tasks is a good way to go.  I haven't thought it out beyond this.

Regards,
Fred

--

Frederick C. Druseikis, Ph.D.
Adjunct Professor - Department of Computer Science and Engineering