mlview-hacking

Re: [Mlview-hacking] Initial patch for Gnome 2 support

From: Dodji Seketeli
Subject: Re: [Mlview-hacking] Initial patch for Gnome 2 support
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:37:23 -0400

Hi Dave,

Waow !! You got into the task very quickly man !! Congrats and
thank you.

I suspect a lot of dev on the gnome2 port front. I new view is definetely usefull. It would be great if I could turn the views into
pluggins so that we could build gnome1 and gnome2 pluggins. That way,
we could continue adding features in gnome1 and in gnome2 . We could also leverage on the features common to gnome1 and gnome2.
What do you think about that ?

For the time being, you can maintain a gnome2 port source tree of
mlview. I can add this new tree on savannah. Just tell me. Do you think
you will have the time to do deal with that task ?

On the documentation front, i have a lot to tell you about the
document/view design of mlview. I have started an architecture design
but that task is a bit stalled for the moment :(
We can meet on irc.gnome.org #gnome-mlview . Just tell me when you are
available (Paris time) and we will discuss.

I think the best thing i should do now, is to stop programming a bit
and write the architecture documentation. no ?

Thank you.

Dodji.

Dave Malcolm wrote:
Attached you should find my initial attempt at a patch (compressed) against the CVS version of mlview for building on the Gnome 2 platform.

This version compiles, links and runs on my machine (using the Garnome version of GNOME 2). Much of the functionality appears to work. But some stuff doesn't and I'm not sure whether the problems are to do with my port or due to existing bugs in mlview.

Given that you don't have Gnome2 and I don't have Gnome1, I suspect it's going to be a bit difficult for you to do anything meaningful with this code for now. I've done it mainly so I have a working build on my machine - I want to implement a new view widget, and the code for the new widget ought to work on both versions of Gnome.

Then again, if anyone out there on the lists wants to try building against Gnome2 this patch may be of use... Please let me know how you get on...

WHAT I'VE DONE:
* configure.in: removed some tests simply to get it working (very naughty)

* src/Makefile.am: use pkg-config for compiler and linker settings

* src/mlview-app.c
        fixed problems due to GnomeAbout and toolbar API changes

* src/mlview-attributes-list.c
* src/mlview-namespace-editor.c
* src/mlview-tree-editor.c
* src/mlview-xml-doc-tree-view.c: signal creation uses g_signal_new rather than gtk_signal_new

* src/mlview-editor.c: signal creation uses g_signal_new rather than gtk_signal_new, fixed compile problem due to gtk_notebook API change

* src/mlview-node-editor.c: signal creation uses g_signal_new rather than gtk_signal_new, replaced use of deprecated GtkText widget with the GtkTextView widget and GtkTextBuffer object; each GtkTextView has its own GtkTextBuffer.

WHAT I HAVEN'T DONE:
* Replaced the deprecated GtkCTree usage with the new GtkTreeView code
* Updated the ChangeLog entry

KNOWN PROBLEMS:
* The about dialog doesn't work

I'm planning to spend time tomorrow on a new view widget. Is there anything I should know about the model/view separation? There was a cryptic message in the TODO about "work on the document/view enforcement" :-)

Dave

--
Dodji

To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master,
walk with the master, see through the master, become the master.