[Mldonkey-users] [patch #8123] configure: Fix GD version check for GD 2.

From: Ryan Schmidt
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] [patch #8123] configure: Fix GD version check for GD 2.1.x
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 04:51:29 +0000

Follow-up Comment #5, patch #8123 (project mldonkey):

Thanks. I don't think the problem you experienced was a result of any OS
differences, but rather that I had installed gd "2.1.0" and you installed
"2.1.1-dev". I had not realized that newer development versions of gd were
already available; that development versions would have their own version
numbers; or that those version numbers would not be completely numeric.

I believe your new code works fine for gd 2.1.x and earlier, however you'll
have the same problem again if and when gd 2.2.0 or later are released. If I
modify gdlib-config to claim to be 2.2.0, I get:

+verbose+
----- checking gd (optional)
checking for gdlib-config... gdlib-config
checking for libgd > 2.0.14... no (found 2.2.0)
configure: libgd not available
-verbose-

I think you'll want to fix this.

If I modify gdlib-config to claim to be 3.0.0, I get:

+verbose+
----- checking gd (optional)
checking for gdlib-config... gdlib-config
checking for libgd > 2.0.14... configure: libgd not available
-verbose-

In this code path, LIBGD isn't set at all, resulting in the first message
being truncated and not printing the found gd version number and the second
message appearing on the same line. This should be fixed by setting LIBGD to
"no" in this code path.

That's assuming that you want to err on the side of caution and not claim
support for a hypothetical future gd 3 at this time. That's probably
reasonable; if gd changes enough to warrant a version number increase to 3,
it's likely that some existing code won't work with it. However, the message
printed should make it more clear (i.e. "checking for libgd > 2.0.14 <

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?8123>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/