Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: URL with login & pass

From: Lionel Bouton
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: URL with login & pass
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:54:07 +0200

Robin Hill wrote the following on 04/30/2004 06:06 PM :

RFC 2396 only says that _some_

Not quite, this isn't really clear, the user:password syntax is clearly scheme specific, but the userinfo is not clearly optional. Remember that we are only speaking of a description that must be interpreted on the client side and this is not part of a *protocol*. So as soon as the protocol underneath can carry user info, the URI can and should define an appropriate userinfo syntax (which isn't standardised in the RFC, only the character set is defined).

URI schemes support this syntax, it does
not specify which schemes do/do not, and the URI format provided is only
the generic format.  RFC 2616 details HTTP 1.1 and this does not support
a username/password, nor does HTTP 1.0 (RFC 1945).

After re-reading 2616, I understand why there is confusion on the subject :
3.2 Uniform Resource Identifiers
[...]
As far as HTTP is concerned, Uniform Resource Identifiers are simply formatted strings which identify--via name, location, or any other characteristic--a resource.
3.2.1 General Syntax
[...]
For definitive information on URL syntax and semantics, see "Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax and Semantics," RFC 2396
[...]
3.2.2 http URL
[...]
http_URL = "http:" "//" host [ ":" port ] [ abs_path [ "?" query ]]

So the 2616 more or less contradicts itself : http URLs are on one hand based on the general syntax described in 2396, but on the other hand miss the "userinfo" part ...

In the end, your interpretation seems the right one : there is no RFC standard for user:pass in http, but from 2396, there is an incentive for the browser market to make one and that is what happened.

Wow, thanks for triggering my refreshing RFC-related memories, things are more obsc ^H^H^H^Hclear to me now !

Best regards,

Lionel.