Re: [Mldonkey-users] Avoid adding a MLDonkey client twice

From: mldonkey
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Avoid adding a MLDonkey client twice
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:44:35 +0200

spiralvoice wrote:
[...]
so we can recognize if this MLDonkey tries to connect us on Overnet and we can refuse it then, but not black_list. We should instead send a message to this client so it knows why we donĀ“t let it connect to us.

Great idea! I'm happy somebody finally recognizes this problem.

I posted a message about this problem over two months ago:

   http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/mldonkey-users/2004-02/msg00039.html

This problem seems to exist only with other mldonkeys, and it IS a problem, because it causes our client to connect too fast and get banned. BTW: Some time ago, I read on the "official" edonkey forums that they have the same problem with mldonkey. Of course, they love blaming mldonkey for that matter. *g*

The problem is:
1) we get a connect request from ip 1.2.3.4, port 4662, md4 4C4C4C4C4C4C4C4C4C4C 2) we get a connect request from ip 1.2.3.4, port 17904, md4 3B3B3B3B3B3B3B3B3B3B

(mldonkey uses a different md4 on overnet and on edonkey.)

Now how to distinguish between
a) ONE mldonkey client using overnet + edonkey
b) TWO different clients running on the same IP, e.g. because of NAT?

We need some sort of identification mechanism, but I don't know how this could work. See above thread.

Maybe you should file a bug report.

Bye,
  phoenix