Re: [Mldonkey-users] How decentral torrents will win the battle against

From: vnc
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] How decentral torrents will win the battle against central trackers of Suprnova.org
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:28:14 +0100

Hi,

address@hidden wrote:
How Mike will win the battle against central trackers of Suprnova.org or
Novasearch.net:

How about telling us who this "Mike" is? A friend of yours? I'm sure we all want to know.

Bittorrents need a central tracker. A central authority to host the
trackers, too.
Both need manpower to be paid.

This is exactly the idea behind the system called Bittorrent. Bittorrent _has_ a central instance. Having control is one of Bittorrents advantages, which is also one of the reasons for it being increasingly deployed commercially (Mandrake+Redhat isos, IDsoftware, lots of "gaming sites" etc...).

This is not likely to change. Other protocols like ed2k and overnet are more suited for independent decentralized distribution, not relying on one central instance. Use them instead if you want to get or share warez and fear that your tracker might be killed!

If a BT-protocol could be used decentral and the torrents could be search
decentral in p2p apps, this would perform the BT-Protocol, it would
decentralize it, but also the central gurus are not needed anymore.

Mike made a torrentaid.com to make torrents available and swarmable with
sha1 and ed2k hash.

But no one is using torrentaid, because it is dangerouse for those central
existances?

You're ridiculous.

So what to do ?

[cut a lot of stupid bloat]

So, guys , dont download a torrent, search for the torrent on gnutella for
re-torrented, or converted torrents for decentral search of BT-Users of the
BT-protocol.

From my understanding the whole idea introdudes lots of unnecessary overhead and alienates the whole Bittorrent philosophy. I will not say anymore to that.

-vnc