Re: [Mldonkey-users] Release 2.5-4

From: Fortin Denis
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Release 2.5-4
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:14:48 +0200

Le ven 10/10/2003 à 12:48, Roland Arendes a écrit :
> Hi
>
> I tested this patch in the past: #1765 (limit-reqs DANGER) and it seems
> that my observations were correct. As Simon already stated, this patch is
> not very good and should be removed from the stable release. My donkey
> doesn't download anything except Bittorrent at the moment.
>
> Please remove it from the stable series and commit it to the cvs asap.
> Thanks..
>
> Bye
> Roland

It works for me.
The question is :
1) should we try to send to every client a request for every file we
have in queue
or
2) only to files that this client advertized (and that we want).

Pro/cons :
1) The more files we have in queue the more requests you will send (and
thus less useful upload).
Having monitored edonkey traffic i can say that there is a _lot_ of
FileNotFound  answers to those requests.
Can be a win in case of collection/series of download :
 That_TV_Show_101.avi and That_TV_Show_102.avi will probably have the
same sources (and you will find them faster (and only _faster_)).

2) Lot less traffic used to send/receive request/answers (more usefull
traffic (especially for upload of files)).

For now i think that we should keep this patch in release. But we can
think of alternative solutions like :
implement the new udp protocol between client and server to have more
sources (where are those damn specs!!!)
Or like i stated in the thread of this patch : implement a sort of
"group of files" (+ automatic grouping via levenstein distance between
file names : if LevDist(That_TV_Show_101.avi,That_TV_Show_102.avi) <
!max_levenstein_distance then ask for both files).

Denis