Re: [Mldonkey-users] A new feature

From: b8_bavard
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] A new feature
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:10:33 +0200

>  1)
>  The client ask for a given chunk by its md4 (the md4 of the chunk),
>  then all the possessors of this chunk can be uploaders, even if they
>  are not uploading the same file.  At this moment, there is some kind
>  of autoconnection of mlnet to itself such that when the chunk is
>  downloaded into a file, it gets instantly downloaded into the X-file
>  (But apparently, there are some verifications to avoid
>  autoconnection).

By the way, there is still an idea to implement: when a file is bigger
than let's say 100 M, try to find other files with exactly the same
size (for example, by searching the longest word in the filename, plus
putting limitations of the file size). Then, try to query sources for
these files for the md4s, check if there are similar, and if yes, keep
somewhere that some of the file md4s have been found in this
file. Then, search for the file, and download only the chunks that can
be put in the file you are really downloading.

>  2)
>  mlnet discovers itself that a chunk *is* in several files and then
>  it dupplicates it (But I can't find the code responsible for that).

src/networks/donkey/donkeyChunks.ml

>  The second part is to extend this idea to Fasttrack.  A lot of files
>  are common between edonkey and fasttrack.  Suppose we are downloading
>  on both network the same file.  We take care the two plugins  download
> disjoint
>  parts of the file.  When Fasttrack seems to have complete a donkey
>  chunk, we compute its donkey md4, and if it matched what donkey is
>  downloading we directly add it to the donkey download.  And by
>  symetry, we do the same in the other direction.

Much more complex. Currently (until 2.5.1), the files are kept
separated, you can only download one from a particular network. Since
last week, the code of mldonkey is being transformed to change
that. 2.5.1 is in fact just a bug fix release, which is not
synchronized at all with the current sources, which are in fact
completely broken now :), so no commit in sight. But normally, 2.5.2
should allow you to download a file from several networks. A
counterpart of that is that some "features" may be broken for a long
time (recover_temp, duplicate_chunks, etc...). The process is very
long, because a lot of code is being moved from the edonkey plugin to
the commonSwarming.ml module, which is much more general (since used
by all networks). As soon as something can be commited (maybe in a
branch of the CVS in fact), I will send more info.

- b8_bavard (mldonkey)
Homepage: http://www.mldonkey.net/