[Mldonkey-users] xMule - an alternative

From: Brett Dikeman
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] xMule - an alternative
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:51:11 -0400

Just thought I'd mention that I've been using the "xMule" client(www.xmule.org) for about 12 hours so far- and I'm blown out of the water by how nice the UI is(everything actually makes sense, information is presented nicely, etc.)

There are some incredibly nice features- for example, a "static" function for server list entries, whereby they never go away. You've got control over how many times a server fails on a connection attempt before it is removed.

The "shared files" page and shared directories browser are perfect- you can share+unshare directories in a tree display with the click of a button, and re-scan as well...no restarts or other foolishness required. No problems with sharing a file once it finishes. You can change priorities, limit uploads of a file to friends, so on.

It gets better- the upload pane on the Transfers page shows, live, all the upload activity, with a host of information. A live list of the waiting queue, with an equally impressive amount of information, is a click away via the right-click menu.

As for the downloads pane, the progress bar shows both percentage completed and availability/downloaded chunks. About the only thing you can't do is inspect individual sources- functionality I don't particularly miss. Another nice feature would be the auto-unpause; if set, you can have a number of files in the queue, pause all but one, and as each download finishes, it'll unpause the next. Want to see lots of information about a file? Right click on the filename and choose "Show File Details"- you can see all sorts of related client, transfer and corruption stats, as well as see counts for the various filenames, and pick the one you want to use.

The statistics page is a dream- builtin graphing of connection usage and up/download counts, with session averages displayed as well. A separate, collapsible tree shows an impressive number of statistics that is well categorized.

It lacks the "Extreme Configuration" of mldonkey- but at the same time, the simplicity is refreshing and it's downright easy to use; since it's basically eMule, most of the existing eMule documentation, FAQs, etc apply.

Who should not try xMule?  Those who:

-use mldonkey's separated backend/frontend functionality
-want the ability to poke your finger into every aspect of the client's operations -use the extraneous network protocols(ie, you only use edonkey/overnet networks)
-use the unix-specific functionality of mldonkey(such as run-as-user, etc)

I've been using v1.4.0(just released 2 days ago) for less than 24 hours, after what seems like at least a year of mldonkey torture. So far, I love it- I'll probably be off the mailing list within a day and have mldonkey wiped from my system within the week. I'm tired of all the eccentricities of the mldonkey client- I just want a client that WORKS, and xmule works beautifully.