Re: [Mldonkey-users] sparse file (was: Disk space preallocation)

From: joseph
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] sparse file (was: Disk space preallocation)
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 23:15:56 +0200

Huh. Compressing and then decompressing the very same file filled my disk. Can somebody verify this? OS X 10.2.5 on a iBook 640 MB RAM here.

I don't know which filesystem OS X uses, but it obviously supports
sparse files by default.

IIRC MacOS X supports at least HFS+ and UFS filesystems.
From tests done on a coworker iBook (dd seek=...) HFS+ doesn't support sparse files. UFS obviously does. So depending on your fs type you'll have different behaviors under MacOS X.

LB

if i understand correctly, if my mldonkey temp directory were on an UFS partition, instead of an HFS+ partition (wich is the MacOS X dafault, and i can confirm it doesn't support 'sparse files'), my files being downloaded would only take the amount of space i actualy obtained ? if the above is true, what appends if i download the last chunk (useful for preview)? would the temp file take the whole disk space of the actual file ? so would it be better to deactivate the 'download chunks in random order' option in that case ? sorry if this is obvious for you, but i'm a non-english and a non-unix guy...

Jo.