[Mldonkey-users] Re: mldonkey rpm

From: Jose Romildo Malaquias
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: mldonkey rpm
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 18:09:48 -0300

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 05:57:22PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:

> Sorry if you receive this mail twice, but I have some problems with
> my mail.

Sorry for not answering earlier, but having been busy lately.

> I've read in the mldonkey-users mailing-list that you are
> maintaining an rpm package for mldonkey.

I have not published my RPM packages for mldonkey yet. I am going
to make them available in a few minutes at

        http://uber.com.br/romildo/

They have been built on a Red Hat Linux 9 system.

If people try them and want to comment on them, feel free to
contact me.

> We would be interested if
> you could help us provide such rpms directly from the mldonkey main
> site. Unfortunately, we are not very experimented in building rpms,
> so we are looking for scripts or Makefile rules that could be used
> to automatically generate rpms at each release (a "make rpm" rule in
> the main Makefile would be wonderful).

In order to build the RPM packages there are some things we need:

1. The source distribution.

   Current versions of mldonkey does not have *source* distributed in
   the traditional way of a compressed archive file (*.tar.gz or
   *.tar.bz2, for instance). When asked on the mailing list, I
   was told that they are availabe (only) at the CVS repository.

   So you should start by adding a Makefile rule to build such a
   source distribution file. Something like "make sourcedist".

   Below I suppose that the left side of such rule is named "sourcedist"
   and it builds the source distribution file named
   mldonkey-$(VERSION).tar.bz2, containing all the source necessary
   for compiling mldonkey. $(VERSION) is the mldonkey version.

2. A working spec file inside the source distribution file.

   Currently there is a spec file (packages/rpm/mldonkey.spec.in)
   in the distribution. It needs some small corrections to work
   out of the box, though.

   Is there anybody maitaining the rpm packaging files found in
   the directory packages/rpm/ currently?

With that, a simple command

$ rpmbuild -ta mldonkey-<version>.tar.bz2

(where mldonkey-<version>.tar.bz2 is the source distribution file)
will build the RPM packages for mldonkey.

A Makefile rule for that would be something like:

rpm: sourcedist
        rpm -ta mldonkey-$(VERSION).tar.bz2

If a rule for building the source distribution is added to
the Makefile, I can help with the RPM part.

Romildo
--
Prof. José Romildo Malaquias        address@hidden
Departamento de Computação       address@hidden