Re: [Mldonkey-users] MLdonkey core settings

From: nospam
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] MLdonkey core settings
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 09:15:11 +0100

Well,

> I'm not sure if I should ask this but... How good are Emule's dl rates?
> And more important... If their dl rates are good, why is it "so easy" to
> use it? I mean, windows users just install emule and run it, they don't
> have to tweak their settings, analyze their traffic, etc to use that
> client.

I compared different emule mods based on 0.22, 23,24,25 (they differ
sometimes quite a lot in source and upload management), trying download of
about the same files in the mldonkey queue (linespeed: up/down 128/768)
Differences are:

- good bandwidth control: some mods use dynamic upload throttling based on
  a reference ping, and adjust upload rates if ping gets too high

- good handling of files with many sources, you can mix rare and popular
  files and rare sources are still found (and tried, which is just not the
  case anymore with 2.02-8/9 using a slow line. There you get 50k+
  sources for one file, and they´re never tried because connections are
  always filled by incoming lowid clients.

Over all download rates aren´t really much better in emule on very popular
files, if you download only rare files it´s the same.

Using mldonkey on a 100mbit line it´s all different - it manages to
connect all available sources, even runs out of sources ;) A mix of rare
and popular doesn´t matter in this case.

Another thing about 2.02-9: after 20h of uptime I looked at the
uploaders: 67!