[Mldonkey-users] Re: here's a guy that I stupidly offended because this

From: Sven Hartge
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: here's a guy that I stupidly offended because this wasn't clear
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:03:15 +0100

lenny bruce <address@hidden> wrote:

> meaning... the same system that is intended to prevent leeching is
> penalizing us as leechers because our connections are asymmetrical
> even when we upload as fast as we can... we can never win.

Well, this is half true.

_If_ you find a peer, which is able to push you the bytes at
80kbyte/sec, _then_ your bandwidth is saturated, *but* this happens very
seldom, most times you are connected to a peer with only 16kbyte/sec
uplink.

*But*, this is a law of nature: you cannot get more water from a pool
than the amount that is already in it.

So, if you have 1.000 users in a P2P network, everybody capable of
downloading at 1.000kbit/s, but only able to upload at 100kbit/s, then
the total available bandwidth is only 1.000*100kbit/s = 100.000kbit/s,
while the total _wanted_ bandwidth is 1.000.000kbit/s.

So, either 100 users get a full download and 900 get nothing but
uploads, or this is spread across all users, resulting in 100kbit/s
download and 100kbit/s upload for everybody.

This is no misconcept of the eDonkey-Network, but also applies to
Napster, WinMX, Gnutella, FTP, HTTP, IRC, NNTP, etc.

S°

--
BOFH excuse #47:

Complete Transient Lockout