Re: [Mldonkey-users] compressed transfer mode

From: crazee_canuck
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] compressed transfer mode
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 21:27:16 -0500

 Sorry for raising this from the dead, but...I haven't found any
 commentary on this subject for a while...

Wednesday, September 11, 2002, 9:57:07 AM, Ivo wrote:

>> Would it be possible to make MLdonkey able to send compressed chunks to other
>> MLdonkey or Emule Clients? That would probably increase CPU load, but I
>> think, normally the limitating factor is the available upload/download
>> bandwith and not the CPU.
>>
>> What do you think about this feature?

I know this was questioned awhile ago...but could this be implemented?
 I don't mean compressing EVERYTHING coming down or going up the pipe,
 because that would be moronic.

I> Would that make much of a difference? Most shared files are (should be)
I> compressed already; would extra compression make it much smaller?

I agree, all files *SHOULD* be compressed already...but sadly, I see a
lot of CD images that are not compressed (i.e., 800MB images that once
compressed are a much smaller 600MB). Compressing EVERYTHING would be
utterly stupid, to that I totally agree, but what about "selective"
and "intelligent" compression method, either by extension (i.e., .bin,
.cue, .txt, .iso, .exe are compressed, others are excluded) or
examining the header of the file, as the *NIX command file does?