Re: [Mldonkey-users] Enough is enough! Please read this!

From: Matthias Witassek
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Enough is enough! Please read this!
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 11:50:47 +0100

Hello.

First of all, I fully agree with Peter's Posting.
But when I read some of the answers, I became upset:
Some writers suggest to create a mldonkey-only network.
This would exactly be the thing eMule is doing right now. We wouldn't be
any better.

Furthermore, it sounds like the beginning of a "war" between mldonkey
and eMule/eDonkey. This would lead into a split of the community and of
the network. Both clients would lose (sources and availability of
files), perhaps one of them would even disappear.

Is this what you want? Weakening of the donkey network?
I think we have other enemies to concentrate on, e.g. the RIAA and the
MPAA. On their black lists eDonkey is on top.

I understand your annoyance about eMule's strategy of preferring other
eMule clients in sharing. This "feature" must be removed.
But despite this eMule is a popular windoze client with a really good
and easy-to-use GUI suitable for its users. Mldonkey lacks this.

And remember: The network lives from popularity. Even if there are lots
of leechers among them (they are also among us, don't forget!) - we will
have to live with that. They will always be there.

My thinking is:
They cannot live without us, as well as we cannot live without them.
Starting a "war" is the worst thing we can do and would be against the
sense of free software, which should be accessible to anybody.

I suggest a possible solution consisting of two steps.

1. Stop developing interfaces to other networks like KaZaA for the
moment and start repairing the donkey network. This would be best done
by improving the already built-in mldonkey server, maybe releasing a
server-only version. Most important thing here is: This server MUST BE
FREE. There must not be any client detection or things like that. We
have to show that everybody is welcome and equally treated.

2. Start porting mldonkey to windoze. Yes, you read it right.
If we want to get rid of the eMule preference "feature", we should not
only count on the support of the eMule developers. We have to give the
unexperienced windoze user an alternative to access the network. At the
same time this is a chance to show these users what sharing and
community means.

When these two things will be done the future might be like this:

More and more mldonkey servers appear on the network, offering their
reliable services to EVERY client and therefore they give the best
chance to find even rare sources. Windoze-donkey users will notice that
and hopefully switch to the windoze-mldonkey because it's better
(stability, usability, reliability) and perhaps they see a relation in
the naming of the server and the client :-)

Maybe eMule will remove its "feature" when noticing this change in the
network and maybe lugdunum will do the same. Unfortunately, we can't
rely on that.

The only way to persuade all users that our way is the right one for the
community is to offer the best service in the network which must be open
to and free for all clients.

Greets

- --
Matthias Witassek     http://www.witassek.de/
GPG-ID: 1024D/0C76E72F

Wenn zwei Menschen immer die gleiche Meinung haben, ist einer von
ihnen überflüssig. [Winston Churchill]