mldonkey-devel

Re: [Mldonkey-devel] mldonkey and savannah

From: Thomas Lussnig
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-devel] mldonkey and savannah
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:08:49 +0100

Mathieu Roy wrote:

By: pfdietz ( Paul F. Dietz ) RE: Mirroring? [ reply ] Thu 03/13/03 at 14:08
       Is there any way the mldonkey init file can be reconfigured to
crash the client? That would force users to upgrade. Is it technically possible?
Hi,
even if this may be possible. I think this is definitly one of the badest idee.
Because mlDonkey is an programm expected to run long time, so there are
people putting it in monitoring script's or even inittab tho force it running.

If now an config file crash the program there are two effekts.
1. The program even much more faster retry fetching the files from the web server.
2. I do not know how the legal aspect is on forcing an programm to crash.
Even if the GPL exclude any law implication to the author. I think using an config file to crash the gui could be seen same way as DoS or other computer crime akt.

If there is an option, than reactivate the motd file. And force the program to stop for example endless loop. Or via the config file stop the program from downloading.
But furced crash i see as the compleate wrong way to solve the problem.

Cu Thomas Lußnig