mit-scheme-users

Re: Porting mit scheme

From: James Flaherty
Subject: Re: Porting mit scheme
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 00:36:17 -0400

Hello Taylor,

Thank you for the help!
When I input
./configure --enable-cross-compiling --enable-native-code=svm1-32le

The configure fails at step "checking for native-code support" with the error "configure: error: unknown compiler architecture: svm1-32le". I downloaded the mit-scheme-10.1.10-svm1.tar.gz package on my desktop linux to run this build. From fiddling around with this build system, I know it is checking the config.sub file for known architectures. Should I add anything to this file to make it recognize the svm1-32le argument?
-kit

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 11:12 PM Taylor R Campbell <address@hidden> wrote:
> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 22:52:57 -0400
> From: James Flaherty <address@hidden>
>
> In short, I'm trying to run MIT-scheme on an odroid xu4 running arch linux
> arm running linux kernel armv7l 4.14.176-1. Since this computer is an armv7
> 32 bit processor, is this even possible? It seems that most instructions
> are for 64 bit x86 machines though theres also an option for svm 64 bit as
> well. If anyone does think its possible, and is curious about how far I
> made it, I can give details on how far I got porting and where I got stuck.

Probably the easiest approach would be to use the svm1 back end, with
the caveat that it'll be a bit slow.  (If you're willing to use a very
similar board like an odroid c4 with a 64-bit it'll be a lot faster!)

On an x86 host where you've already installed MIT Scheme, you can do
something like this:

cd mit-scheme/src
./Setup.sh
./configure --enable-cross-compiling --enable-native-code=svm1-32le
make -j4 cross-host

Then rsync the directory over to the odroid and run:

cd mit-scheme/src
(cd microcode && ./configure)
make -j4 cross-target
env FAST=y make check

You'll need a C compiler on the odroid xu4 to do the second stage.
The cross-compilation system we have is not very good at the moment --
it can't cross-compile everything, and it can't take advantage of a C
cross-compiler at the moment, which is why you have to rerun configure
in the microcode directory and run `make cross-target' to finish the
job.